When looking for mentor texts to use within Reading minilessons there are several things to consider...
- How do you use a mentor text?
- When do I teach from a mentor text?
- How can I revisit a mentor text in a minilesson?
- What do I need readers to gain?
- Does this text support what my readers need?
- What part of the text will I use?
- How will I use the text to teach the strategy or skill?
- How will I engage my readers in the text use?
- How will my readers be able to access the text after the lesson for reference?
- Will there be other mentor texts to illustrate the same strategy or skill?
Use this planning tool to make sure you don't miss a thing when planning how to use a mentor text within your instruction.